Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free and Traditional Now Available in Safeway West Coast Locations
Wholly Wholesome, the leader in all natural and organic frozen bakery items, announces its expansion into select Safeway grocery stores. Beginning September 2014 Wholly Wholesome will meet the growing demand of consumers for Wholicious desserts. The stores will shelve Wholly Wholesome Certified Gluten Free, as well as Certified Organic Whole Wheat and Traditional Pie Shells. Consumers can use the store locator at WhollyWholesome.com to find the nearest store carrying these products.
“We are excited to see our brand meet more consumers looking for a sweet treat that can meet their dietary needs,” said Doon Wintz, President, Wholly Wholesome. “As food allergens and the number of gluten free consumers continue to increase, we’re thrilled about the addition of our products into these stores that have such loyal customers.”
Wholly Wholesome caters to both baking beginners and buffs with Gluten Free, Whole Wheat and Traditional Pie Shells that are frozen, ready-to-bake and mess-free for any dessert or meal recipe. The Gluten Free Pie Shells are made with natural ingredients in a dedicated gluten free environment. Additionally, all other Pie Shells are made with natural and organic ingredients.
From bakery treats to pie crusts to fully prepared cakes, Wholly Wholesome produces quality goods that are easy to prepare and cater to a gluten free or vegan diet. With the expansion into Safeway, more consumers can experience superior food made with all natural ingredients with ease.
Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free and Traditional Now Available in Kroger Locations Nationwide
Wholly Wholesome, the leader in all natural and organic frozen desserts, announces its expansion into select Kroger, Dillon, King Sooper’s, Ralphs and Fry’s grocery stores beginning September 2014 to meet the growing demand of consumers for Wholicious desserts. The stores will shelve Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free, Whole Wheat and Traditional Pie Shells. Consumers can use the store locator at WhollyWholesome.com to find the nearest store carrying Wholly Wholesome.
“We are excited to see our brand meet more consumers looking for a sweet treat that can meet their dietary needs,” said Doon Wintz, President, Wholly Wholesome. “As food allergens and the number of gluten free consumers continue to increase, we’re thrilled about the addition of our products into these stories that have such loyal customers.”
Wholly Wholesome caters to baking beginners and buffs with Gluten Free, Whole Wheat and Traditional Pie Shells that are frozen, ready-to-bake and mess-free for any dessert or meal recipe. The Gluten Free Pie Shells are made in a dedicated gluten free environment. All pie shells are made with natural and organic ingredients.
From bakery treats to pie crusts to fully prepared cakes, Wholly Wholesome produces quality goods that are easy to prepare and cater to a gluten free or vegan diet. With the expansion into Kroger, more consumers can experience superior food made with all natural ingredients with ease.
Spinach is one of our favorite super foods because it’s delicious, packs a powerful nutritional punch and is great in salads, smoothies … and (our personal favorite) calzones! But did you know that spinach is also a nostalgic vegetable? In fact, Birds Eye’ was the first company to advertise spinach. It did so in “Life” magazine in 1949. For those of you who love nostalgia, here’s that ad! Something to read while you’re lovin’ your Spinach and Pancetta Calzone! Enjoy …
Gluten Free Pizza Dough Ball Recipe:
Spinach and Pancetta Calzone
1 Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free Pizza Dough Ball
2 to 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
4 ounces pancetta cubed (optional)
10 ounces fresh spinach (or frozen, defrosted and drained completely dry)
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
15 ounces ricotta cheese (part skim is fine)
1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese (good substitutes: white cheddar cheese or fontina cheese)
2 extra-large eggs, beaten
2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil (or 1 tablespoon dried)
2 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tablespoon dried)
1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, mixed with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. If you have a pizza stone, place it in the oven as it heats. If not, line an overturned rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Divide the pizza dough into 4 equal portions, and roll each into a ball. Set the dough aside, covered loosely with a wet towel.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the onion. Saute, stirring frequently, over medium heat, until the onion is translucent (about 5 minutes). Add the minced garlic and the (optional) pancetta, and saute, stirring frequently, until the garlic is fragrant and the pancetta is cooked (about 4 minutes). Remove the onion garlic and pancetta mixture to a separate large bowl. Add the fresh spinach to the saucepan, and cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until wilted (about a minute, more or less), and add to the large bowl with the other ingredients. If using frozen spinach, don’t cook and just toss directly into the large bowl. Mix to combine, adding salt and pepper to taste. If you haven’t used the pancetta, you will need more salt. Set the bowl aside to cool.
- Take the first ball of pizza dough, and roll between two pieces of parchment paper into an approximately 6 to 8 inch round, about ⅛ inch thick (thickness of a nickel). If the edges are very rough, tuck them toward the center of the round, and then roll them smooth. Repeat with the remaining balls of dough. Place each dough round on the overturned baking pan or warmed pizza stone.
- To the large bowl, add the ricotta, parmesan, gruyere and eggs, and mix to combine well. Fold in the basil and oregano. Divide the filling between the 4 rounds of pizza dough, placing the filling on one half of the dough, leaving a 1 inch border of bare dough. Fold the opposite end of the dough over the filling, and pinch together the edges well until there is a good seal. Brush the tops and seams with the melted unsalted butter and olive oil. Place the overturned baking pan or pizza stone in the center of the preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until nicely golden brown and crisp.
- Serve right away.
Delicious and gluten free can be said in the same sentence when it’s describing this easy to make recipe! These Deep Dish Pizza Bites are made with a Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free Pizza Dough Ball for outstanding taste! The pop-in-your-mouth bites are perfect for
after-school snacks for the kids, appetizers for dinner and are great for tailgating this football season. Try them today and let us know what you think!
It’s National Ice Cream Month and we’re celebrating with a “cool” video. We’ll get you chillin’ with this easy recipe! Combine your favorite toppings with your favorite ice cream on top of a Wholly Wholesome Organic Pie Shell for a delicious summertime delight. Go ahead, “chill” and indulge in a sweet treat that’s quick and easy to make using our frozen pie shell. Then share with us on Facebook how your pie turned out! Enjoy the video!
We love hearing from fans that use our all natural baked goods and frozen pie shells to make great tasting all natural recipes! Check out what Miri Rotkovitz wrote about our Kosher Organic Spelt Pie Shell when she made her Cherry Pie with Oatmeal Streusel:
“If you don’t have the time or inclination to prepare a homemade pie crust, seek out a good-quality frozen or refrigerated crust. I tried Wholly Wholesome’s Organic Spelt Pie Shell while testing this recipe, and found that the flavor complemented the other ingredients nicely.”
Thanks Miri for the kind words! Everyone can enjoy this recipe at home with the ease of using Wholly Wholesome.
We’d love to know how your pie turned out! Share pictures and your helpful hints with us on Facebook.
All Natural Recipes For: Cherry Pie with Oatmeal Streusel (Dairy or Pareve)
For the Pie:
1 Wholly Wholesome Organic Spelt Pie Shell, thawed
1 pound (about 4 cups) pitted sweet cherries, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. granulated (instant) tapioca or tapioca starch
2 Tbsp. finely chopped crystallized ginger
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
Pinch of salt
For the Streusel Topping:
3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour or regular all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter or non-hydrogenated margarine, cut into small pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. In a large bowl, toss together the cherries, sugar, tapioca, crystallized ginger, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt. Mix just until the cherries are evenly coated with the other ingredients. Pour the cherry mixture into the Wholly Wholesome pie shell.
3. In the same bowl, mix the oats, flour, sugar, and cinnamon. With clean hands, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the butter is well incorporated and the mixture is crumbly. Top the pie evenly with the streusel mixture.
4. Place the pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet to catch drips. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the crust and streusel are golden and the filling is bubbly. Cool the pie in its baking dish on a rack. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. Store leftover pie, well covered, in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. Enjoy!
This Father’s Day, show dad you truly care by serving up a robust breakfast that’s also healthy. You may not know this, but men require a daily intake of 56 grams of protein … with our Country Quiche Lorraine, he’ll get the hearty taste he wants and the protein he needs! And with June being National Men’s Health Month, it’s the best time to serve dad a delicious and nutritious morning quiche! We make it easy when you start with a Wholly Wholesome Organic Pie Shell. Get the full recipe below.
Country Quiche Lorraine
1 Wholly Wholesome Organic Pie Crust
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cup of light cream
3 strips of bacon
3/4 cup of shredded cheese (Sharp, White Cheddar or Swiss)
1/2 small onion
3 pieces of lean deli ham
1/8 tsp of nutmeg
1/8 tsp of paprika
1/8 tsp of pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Thaw Wholly Wholesome Organic Pie Crust for 10 minutes.
3. Prick bottom and sides of shell with a fork.
4. Bake shell for 10 minutes.
5. Let cool for approximately 10 minutes.
6. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
7. Tear up ham into small pieces, set aside.
8. Cook bacon well and crumble, set aside.
9. Sauté onions, set aside
10. Fill bottom of pie shell with ½ cup of shredded cheese.
11. Layer ham, bacon, onions and add remaining ¼ cup of shredded cheese.
12. In saucepan, scald cream.
13. In a separate bowl, lightly beat eggs then add to cream.
14. Remove eggs and cream from heat and stir until combined.
15. Add nutmeg, paprika and pepper.
16. Pour egg mixture into pie shell
17. Place quiche on cookie sheet to protect oven should quiche boil over.
18. Place in the oven on the center rack and back at 350°F for approximately 45 minutes or until center sets.
19. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 30 minutes.
20. Serve or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Memorial Day kicks off the unofficial start of summer. It’s a monumental time for sun worshipers to shed layers, reach for 40 SPF lotion, and start firing up the grill. A weekend planner filled with barbeques may yield some trouble for anyone maintaining a gluten free lifestyle. Navigating through a tablecloth stacked high with buns, pasta salads, cakes and cookies will leave any abstainer of gluten feeling as uneasy as swallowing a gulp of your Great Aunt Mary’s conspicuous Jell-O salad.
Never fear, gluten free warrior! We have compiled tips to ensure that your Memorial Day is enjoyable, delicious, and of course, free of gluten.
- BYOB. Bring your own … Buns! A barbeque isn’t a barbeque without hotdogs and hamburgers. Save yourself the trouble of going bun-less and bring some gluten free buns along with you. Our Pizza Dough Balls make a GREAT gluten free dough. Shape ‘em, bake ‘em and go!
- Thank the Season! Instead of focusing on all the foods you can’t enjoy, fill up on fresh fruit and vegetables that are finally in season. Fruits and veggies are never fresher than in the summertime and what’s a barbeque without corn on the cob? And by the way, we know there’s no sweeter way to enjoy fruit season than by eating pie and our GF Pies Shells are here to help!!
- Know Gluten. Deciding if something is gluten free is not always so black and white. Many condiments, meats, and pickles contain gluten. Don’t let these sneaky gluten culprits upset your diet.
- Be Confident. Whether you chose a gluten free lifestyle because you have celiac disease or to help with achy joints, one barbeque isn’t enough to throw off all your hard work. When someone asks why you aren’t eating the same foods, simply reply that this was your decision, and it has only impacted you positively.
- Share! The best way for you to enjoy a gluten free dish is by bringing your own favorite dish to pass. It’s a win-win … you get to eat what you want, and you can still share! Check out some of our own GF recipes that are not only delicious but make it easy to share and plan on what to prepare next.