It’s National Pie Day! January 23rd only comes once a year so make the most of it by indulging in one or two (or three) slices today! Head to your grocery store to pick up a Wholly Wholesome Bake at Home Apple, Blueberry, Cherry, or Pumpkin pie or keep reading for our Cheesecake Pie! When you’re ready for more, visit our recipe page and get your pie fix!
9″ Wholly Wholesome Chocolate Pie Crust
1 extra large egg
2 8 oz. packages of cream cheese
1/4 cup of heavy cream
1 tbsp. freshly grated lemon zest
1 tbsp. of pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup of unrefined & unbleached sugar
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Soften cream cheese in a medium bowl.
3. Beat sugar, eggs, heavy cream, vanilla and grated lemon zest in a small bowl.
4. Add beaten mixture to cream cheese and mix all together until well blended.
5. Spread into Wholly Wholesome crust.
6. Place in oven on center rack and bake for 40 minutes or until center sets.
7. Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes.
8. Cover & refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled before serving.
9. Serve or refrigerate for up to 3 days. Keep refrigerated.
The candy bowl seems to be staring right at you. You swear you can hear it calling your name. Sweet chocolate and sugary caramel bites wrapped in tiny, shiny packages catch the light as your hand slowly reaches for one.
But, no. You had a satisfying Wholly Wholesome breakfast this morning! Who needs the fleeting satisfaction of a bite-sized piece of candy? You pull your hand away and smile. You: 1, Temptation: 0
Let Wholly Wholesome help you to keep your New Year’s Resolutions on track this year! Start your day off right and the rest will be a cinch! Our Vegetable Feta Quiche tastes decadent, but won’t throw your diet off. Jam packed with healthy veggies and protein rich eggs, you won’t take another glance at that menacing candy bowl!
When is our latest appearance on the Food Factory airing in your hometown? Check out the dates this very special episode is airing and get the scoop on how Wholly Wholesome manages to pack such big flavor into such a tiny, sweet treat like our Cinnamon Crumblettes!
We have to warn you though … this episode may burst your bubble. Despite what many Wholly fans think, our Crumblettes aren’t baked by fairies, nor are they taste tested for quality by mythical unicorns and sprinkled with magical nom-nom sprinkles. They’re just given a healthy dose of love and attention! Here’s a sneak peak!
From our factory to your store, here they are!
We love seeing people use the convenience of our frozen products to make wholesome and delicious food! Check out these great recipes and share your creation with us on Instagram! See what other people have done below:
Let’s learn together with some tasty fun facts regarding everyone’s favorite part of the meal!
Come back often throughout the month of October, as we’ll be sharing more fun facts weekly!
Did you know …
• In a survey conducted in 1951 of the U.S. armed services, banana cream pie was the favorite dessert. Rice pudding was the least liked.
• In countless surveys, Apple Pie has been chosen the favorite dessert in the United States. Apple pie has also been a favorite in England for hundreds of years.
• The official state dessert of Massachusetts is Boston cream pie.
• A Betty is a baked dessert dating to Colonial America; it is a baked pudding made with layers of spiced sweetened fruit (usually apples) and buttered bread crumbs. Apple Brown Betty is made with brown sugar and sliced apples.
• Cherries Jubilee is a dessert created by August Escoffierin honor of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. It consists of cherries flamed tableside with sugar and Kirsch (cherry brandy) spooned over vanilla ice cream.
• In 1936 Jell-O came out with a cola flavored Jell-O. It only lasted for one year before being dropped.
Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free and Traditional Now Available in Safeway West Coast Locations
Wholly Wholesome, the leader in all natural and organic frozen bakery items, announces its expansion into select Safeway grocery stores. Beginning September 2014 Wholly Wholesome will meet the growing demand of consumers for Wholicious desserts. The stores will shelve Wholly Wholesome Certified Gluten Free, as well as Certified Organic Whole Wheat and Traditional Pie Shells. Consumers can use the store locator at WhollyWholesome.com to find the nearest store carrying these products.
“We are excited to see our brand meet more consumers looking for a sweet treat that can meet their dietary needs,” said Doon Wintz, President, Wholly Wholesome. “As food allergens and the number of gluten free consumers continue to increase, we’re thrilled about the addition of our products into these stores that have such loyal customers.”
Wholly Wholesome caters to both baking beginners and buffs with Gluten Free, Whole Wheat and Traditional Pie Shells that are frozen, ready-to-bake and mess-free for any dessert or meal recipe. The Gluten Free Pie Shells are made with natural ingredients in a dedicated gluten free environment. Additionally, all other Pie Shells are made with natural and organic ingredients.
From bakery treats to pie crusts to fully prepared cakes, Wholly Wholesome produces quality goods that are easy to prepare and cater to a gluten free or vegan diet. With the expansion into Safeway, more consumers can experience superior food made with all natural ingredients with ease.
Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free and Traditional Now Available in Kroger Locations Nationwide
Wholly Wholesome, the leader in all natural and organic frozen desserts, announces its expansion into select Kroger, Dillon, King Sooper’s, Ralphs and Fry’s grocery stores beginning September 2014 to meet the growing demand of consumers for Wholicious desserts. The stores will shelve Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free, Whole Wheat and Traditional Pie Shells. Consumers can use the store locator at WhollyWholesome.com to find the nearest store carrying Wholly Wholesome.
“We are excited to see our brand meet more consumers looking for a sweet treat that can meet their dietary needs,” said Doon Wintz, President, Wholly Wholesome. “As food allergens and the number of gluten free consumers continue to increase, we’re thrilled about the addition of our products into these stories that have such loyal customers.”
Wholly Wholesome caters to baking beginners and buffs with Gluten Free, Whole Wheat and Traditional Pie Shells that are frozen, ready-to-bake and mess-free for any dessert or meal recipe. The Gluten Free Pie Shells are made in a dedicated gluten free environment. All pie shells are made with natural and organic ingredients.
From bakery treats to pie crusts to fully prepared cakes, Wholly Wholesome produces quality goods that are easy to prepare and cater to a gluten free or vegan diet. With the expansion into Kroger, more consumers can experience superior food made with all natural ingredients with ease.
Spinach is one of our favorite super foods because it’s delicious, packs a powerful nutritional punch and is great in salads, smoothies … and (our personal favorite) calzones! But did you know that spinach is also a nostalgic vegetable? In fact, Birds Eye’ was the first company to advertise spinach. It did so in “Life” magazine in 1949. For those of you who love nostalgia, here’s that ad! Something to read while you’re lovin’ your Spinach and Pancetta Calzone! Enjoy …
Gluten Free Pizza Dough Ball Recipe:
Spinach and Pancetta Calzone
1 Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free Pizza Dough Ball
2 to 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
4 ounces pancetta cubed (optional)
10 ounces fresh spinach (or frozen, defrosted and drained completely dry)
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
15 ounces ricotta cheese (part skim is fine)
1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese (good substitutes: white cheddar cheese or fontina cheese)
2 extra-large eggs, beaten
2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil (or 1 tablespoon dried)
2 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tablespoon dried)
1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, mixed with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. If you have a pizza stone, place it in the oven as it heats. If not, line an overturned rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Divide the pizza dough into 4 equal portions, and roll each into a ball. Set the dough aside, covered loosely with a wet towel.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the onion. Saute, stirring frequently, over medium heat, until the onion is translucent (about 5 minutes). Add the minced garlic and the (optional) pancetta, and saute, stirring frequently, until the garlic is fragrant and the pancetta is cooked (about 4 minutes). Remove the onion garlic and pancetta mixture to a separate large bowl. Add the fresh spinach to the saucepan, and cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until wilted (about a minute, more or less), and add to the large bowl with the other ingredients. If using frozen spinach, don’t cook and just toss directly into the large bowl. Mix to combine, adding salt and pepper to taste. If you haven’t used the pancetta, you will need more salt. Set the bowl aside to cool.
- Take the first ball of pizza dough, and roll between two pieces of parchment paper into an approximately 6 to 8 inch round, about ⅛ inch thick (thickness of a nickel). If the edges are very rough, tuck them toward the center of the round, and then roll them smooth. Repeat with the remaining balls of dough. Place each dough round on the overturned baking pan or warmed pizza stone.
- To the large bowl, add the ricotta, parmesan, gruyere and eggs, and mix to combine well. Fold in the basil and oregano. Divide the filling between the 4 rounds of pizza dough, placing the filling on one half of the dough, leaving a 1 inch border of bare dough. Fold the opposite end of the dough over the filling, and pinch together the edges well until there is a good seal. Brush the tops and seams with the melted unsalted butter and olive oil. Place the overturned baking pan or pizza stone in the center of the preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until nicely golden brown and crisp.
- Serve right away.
Delicious and gluten free can be said in the same sentence when it’s describing this easy to make recipe! These Deep Dish Pizza Bites are made with a Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free Pizza Dough Ball for outstanding taste! The pop-in-your-mouth bites are perfect for
after-school snacks for the kids, appetizers for dinner and are great for tailgating this football season. Try them today and let us know what you think!